Thursday, February 10, 2005

It must be the lighting if my eyes are green.

Old Hag recently held a contest, looking to describe “…the wave of nausea that hits you when you read about forthcoming books by people you went to college or even once slept with that came out to great acclaim while you haven’t written anything in….ever." The winner was the word "penvy".

I like this word. As most of you have figured out, I collect words like some people collect those US quarters (Have you found Wisconsin yet?). I've got to confess, there's only a few people in my high school/college arena that are writers (that's what happens when you go to an Engineering school), but yeah, I get hit with penvy sometimes, I'm surrounded by talented friends, peers, and some people that I swear couldn't write their way out of a paper bag. Envy happens. The trick is to acknowledge it, put it behind you, and then get back to your own life and your own career.

There will always be someone ahead you and someone behind you, unless of course, you're Nora Roberts, and I bet she grouses about J.K. Rowling, and I don't know who J.K. Rowling would diss, but I bet she does. Has it always been this way, or did I never notice it when I was a kid? Somewhere capitalism and that fun little "keep up with the Jones" has become a little meaner. Is this a 9/11 thing? Can we blame the terrorists for this one? Sure we can....

There's a line V says in Diva: "I watch all the faces of the people at their tables, all watching each other with little beady eyes. This is why I sold my soul, to know that I am too cool to ever have beady eyes. But there's always someone better, soulless or not. I can deny it every which way from Monday, but the truth is that I get the beady eyes, too. Even now."

Okay, bummed you out much? In more romantic news, Prince Charles is set to wed Camilla "The Rottweiler" Bowles in April, George "41" Bush is not Deep Throat, and Paris Hilton will play that 'I dream of that Jeannie chick. She's hot'on American Dreamer. And oh, yeah, there's still peace in the Middle East.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home