Friday, January 28, 2005

Box O'Books

Romance Writer's of America has a contest for all their published authors called the Rita's. It's the Oscars in romance without the gift bags, the televised awards presentation, the jockeying for the nominations, and the coverage on Access Hollywood. Published authors decide the finalists, and this year they changed the format of the judging.

In the past, a judge got about 5-7 books, all in the same category. For instance: historical romance, inspiration romance, short category romance (category in this case means Harlequin/Silhouette), etc. The idea was for the judges to read books in a category they were familiar with and enjoyed reading. When you got your box of books, they stared you down, glaring, reminding you of your organizational obligation. Well, this year, they mixed it up a bit. They sent out 6-9 books, all in different categories. I have some romantic suspense, some historical, a couple of Harlequins and a novella. And you know what? The books aren't glaring at me. They're calling me. Oh my gosh, it's not a chore this year. I'm excited, and there are a couple of authors I've been meaning to read.

Anticipation

There's a point in a books pre-publication timeline when people start to read your book. Reviewers, friends, film agents. It's a nerve-wracking moment, when the silence is overwhelmed only by the size of your Christmas Visa bill. I HATE THE WAITING. I'm sorry, I just felt the urge to share.

Magnets

I have some very cool magnets that I’m giving away to anybody who asks. It's a copy of my book cover, for Diva's Guide to Selling Your Soul, with the following tag lines:

"Lost 20 pounds in thirty seconds. Guaranteed."
"The real story behind the Brad and Jen break-up."
"You want to make it in Manhattan? The first thing you do is lose the soul."
"because everyone knows a size zero involves a deal with the devil…"

Anybody who wants one, send me an email with your snail mail address, and your magnet choice, and I'll pop it in the mail to you.

I think that's all. I'm a columnist on www.romancingtheblog.com, so check there often! It's pretty good so far, which sucks like a hoover because it means I have to think of something really cool to say, or I'm going to look like loser-writer.

Sigh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home