Tuesday, January 04, 2005

2005 -- hopefully it gets better

Welcome to 2005. I hope the year is starting out right for each and every one of you. I've done my part. Wrote, exercised, and donated to the Red Cross, and feeling very proud of myself (mainly for the writing and exercise, which are much harder for me than donating to the Red Cross).

There's been so much in the news about the countries affected, and one of the reasons this disaster was so slow to come to the public's eye is that television can't capture an event of this magnitude. I was watching Tvland's 100 most memorable moments on TV (don't ask), and I realize how much of current history is tied to television. Not just sitcoms and eye-candy, but the news as well. With the tsunami, television has no lens big enough to capture the magnitude of the disaster. We saw 9/11 over and over again, and each time you saw the footage, you could hear a million hearts breaking around the world, but with a natural disaster spanning twelve countries on two continents, a 27' screen cannot compare to the words 150,000 dead.

I hope each one of you are doing what you can. Cheers to Sandra Bullock for her awesome donation, and I hope to hear of many others matching her class and character.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home