Friday, December 17, 2004

The Holiday Edition

I got some nice news today. The fourth book in my Bachelorette Pact series was nominated by Romantic Times as one of the best Temptations of the year. Interestingly enough, that book was about as much fun as a root canal to write. People often think that writing a book sounds like so much fun. And most of the time, it is. But sometimes (often at the worst possible moment), it is actually very difficult to do. You don't want to write. You want to clean your house, organize that desk drawer that has been untouched since before the Ice Age, and maybe even make cookies. And there seems to be no correlation between the joy of writing and the quality of the story. So, the hardest books to write can be the most successful, or the easiest books can really tank.

Anyway, I didn't really want to get into all this, no instead, I think I'll discuss Amber Frey's book deal. The book is hitting the shelves in January, (which means it was already written and edited before the ink had dried on his big 'ole guilty stamp). I'm sure she was well paid for this hard-hitting expose on what it's like to *&#% a married wife-killer. Was that harsh? Probably. Spank me. In other news, Scott Peterson is getting "quite a lot of fan mail" according to his jailer. Probably from other aspiring groupies authors who want to ride that gravy train.

We've been sick here at the homestead this week, (more so than usual), and perhaps it's coloring my foul mood. At least next week is Christmas, and I'm one of the types who enjoy the holidays. I like the eating, the being lazy and not oozing guilt, I like spending time with my family (on most days), and I like all the lights and the decorations. I like buying presents for people, things that won't normally splurge on, I like the food (did I mention that?), I like the smiles that people wear, and I like the mood of the world. 364 days of the year, we're all going to hell in a handbag, but for that one special day… It's magic.

Happy Holidays, all.
p.s. in celebration of the holidays, I have a gift basket and the IN ONE YEAR AND OUT THE OTHER anthology just waiting for the first person to send me an email with your name and snail mail address....

1 Comments:

Blogger Kat said...

Just wanted to let you know that I loved Cassandra's story. (Actually, I loved the others, too...except the first one which I missed out on because I didn't know how fabulous a writer you were then. :-) ) It may have been a pain to write but it was wonderful to read. I read it again as soon as I had finished. It was such a pleasure to live vicariously through her!

1:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home