Wednesday, February 08, 2006

She smiled....again

For those of you who are writers, lifehacker links to a cool utility called TextSTAT that produces a word frequency list from your text file or WORD document.

I ran it on my ALMOST COMPLETED!!!! manuscript (currently untitled) and if you have any great ideas on titles for a Blaze that reference NIGHT, STARS, SLEEP, or DREAMS and have the "Blaze edge" PLEASE let me know. (apologize for the caps today; lots of caffeine). Any great ideas will be rewarded with free books, free Starbucks or both.

Anyway, the point being that my most frequently used words (aside from the obvious "the", "she", "him", "it") are
"said" at 253 -- giving myself a pass on that one; I like "said", she answered.
"up", 200 -- this is a mystery as this isn't an airplane book. Must investigate
"out", 179 -- another mystery
"eyes", 88 -- no surprise here. I'm a big eyeser. Must remember to check and see if any eyes are floating. I'm a big fan of floating eyes.
"No", 88 -- a world's record for a Blaze, where rarely is heard a discouraging word...
"something", 73 -- note to Kathleen: dig out thesaurus
"smile", 41, "smiled", 25, "frown", 2, "frowned", 6 -- note to Kathleen: up conflict

And that's today's helpful writerly hint from Kathleen. And remember, title help is smilingly appreciated, she said.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kat said...

OK, my first thought was...Star Bucks! Haha...

Blaze has never been my favourite category because I find it too short for real character development but I'm looking forward to seeing if you can change my mind. :-)

OK, more serious title suggestions... Between The Sheets, Keeping Him Up All Night, Sleeping Arrangements, Moonlight Mayhem and my personal fave (aside from Star Bucks, of course), The Big Dipper.

1:24 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Kat, you're a hoot! I love Star Bucks and the Big Dipper! Sleeping Arrangements actually is pretty good. Don't think it'll work for the series, but I could visualize the book where it could. I think my ed will think that "moonlight" doesn't have the blaze "edge". Sigh. I'm just not an edgy person, I suppose.

Thank you for playing, and I will continue thinking.... Sometimes I really hate having to title books. Some books just title themselves, but others.... especially when they're connected.

And I hope you enjoy my Blazes, and I do change your mind. I consider mine Temptations with "Blaze" stuck on the front of it. :)

5:05 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

Here I digress but from one geek to another, you might find some title inspirations in this list. :-)

12:46 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Abort, retry, never fail!!! ROFL!! Oh, Kat, these are good....

9:13 AM  
Blogger Amie Stuart said...

Night Moves? (yeah I know it's a Bob Seager song *g*)

8:37 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

And the winner ended up being:
Beyond Breathless. Now must come up with Beyond something else for the other two :)

9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home