Tuesday, November 29, 2005

The new face of lit

There's an article in Chicago Tribune talking about readers that have become collaborators, creating their own identities online. If you think about this, the world is becoming a completely customizable place. Music, whatever you want, TV shows whenever you want, movies on demand, and on the Net, you can find whatever you need to know when you need it. I'm not sure why a reader would want to buy one chapter of a fiction book from Amazon, although I'm sure there's a reason, but the idea of a completely customizable story, well, that fascinates me. One ending for the happily ever after crowd, another more tragic for hanky-lit crowd. Maybe character names can be changed to reflect whatever the reader's desire, but as a writer, a plug and play story will lose something over a well-thought out, well-characterized story. Although, I must admit, the idea of plug and play illustrations might be kinda fun. Don't like the hero's looks? Let's put Sean Bean in there instead.... So, any ideas on what a story on demand will be?

3 Comments:

Blogger Kat said...

Reminds me of the Choose Your OWn Adventure books I used to read when I was young. Alternative endings on DVD's also cater to audiences who prefer the non-conventional ending. I'm liking the idea of customised love scenes and broad character traits. Don't like pregnant virginal amnesiacs holding hands with a cowboy? How about a lusty madam seducing a banker...and his secretary? Teehee...

1:10 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

LOL! Exactly, Kat!

8:42 AM  
Blogger Kat said...

This comment from Joss Whedon on director's cuts/alternative endings reminded me of your post: "there's a reason these films end the way they do. I believe in the story so hard it would never occur to me, unless I set out from the beginning, to try and tell the story two ways. I don't think it does a service to the story." I suspect many writers would feel the same way.

4:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home