Monday, December 05, 2005

Chick-lit, the pinkest lit to trash

The Columbia Chronicle Online covered a chick-lit panel discussion, at a bookstore in Chicago. I'm rather intrigued by the serious thrashing that the idea of chick-lit is taking from various high-minded literati. I say "idea of chick-lit" because I'm of the belief that the variety of chick-lit available is way beyond what any of the critics are aware. Jess from Bookslut.com is a huge chick-lit hater (CLH for short), and paints all the genre with a huge #10 crayon (anything but pink).

"You should be sort of ashamed of "chick lit" because it's bad," she says.


I like the "sort of" modifier. Not sure why it's there and exactly what "sort of ashamed" means, but I'm wondering if its code for "my book was passed over for a story about a woman in the city and the cover sports for a closetful of heels, all tastfully adorned in pink."

Sigh.

I suppose there will always be people that are too "smart" for chick-lit (because we ALL know it's just fluffy, bubble-gum with no sort of redeeming value whatsoever).

Sigh.

I suppose I'll crawl back into my pink poka-dotted cave where I write with my heart pen and stare at ancient copies of David Cassidy in Tiger Beat, and Hello-Kitty watches over me while I write in big loopy letters, and of course, dot each 'i' with a heart.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sideways Chica said...

There's a time for everything. Let's hear it for fluffy, bubble-gum ("sort of"). ;-)

Just found your site. Fun.

Ciao for now...

Teri

www.herestohappywomen.blogspot.com

8:51 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Thank you, Teri!

3:42 PM  
Blogger east side girl said...

I heard aboutthe panel discussion as well, and I'm incredibily disappointed that obviously smart women dismiss a genre like chick lit so easily. I agree with you--there is a depth and importance to the genre that has staying power...chick lit isn't going anywhere, no matter what we choose to call it.

Thanks for this post

8:01 PM  
Blogger Sarah Beth said...

Viva la chick lit! Just think, back in Shakespeare's day, his plays (or whoever really wrote them) were considered sub-par works and were bashed by literati.

10:33 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Ah, your words are music (teeny-bopperish, possibly with a doo-wop beat) to my little pink-hearted ears.

Thanks, ladies. It's wonderful to hear from real readers and know there's disagreement. :)

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home