Thursday, October 27, 2005

Everything's Coming up Roses for Harlequin....

Harlequin released their third-quarter profit report. Newspapers were very sad, but the books business was a much happier place, with profits up $1.3 million (5.6%) from the same period last year, with profit coming in at 24.6 million for the quarter. My favorite line is this:

"North America Retail operating profits were up .6 million in the quarter with higher volumes and revenue gains offset partially by increased promotional spending and higher costs."

Kathleen's translation: "Advertising sells books."

And to even further prove my hypothesis:

"Year to date, the investment in promotional spending and higher costs have more than offset the revenue gains."

Just saying....

1 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

Anna,

As long as their are lines, there will be lines to close:) I've closed three now, and I've only published 11 books. If a line stops accepting submissions, it's a danger signal. Blaze, Desire, Super, Presents are all in very good shape (there's probably more, but those are the ones I can name off the top of my head.)

7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home