Monday, October 10, 2005

The State of Used Books

There's an article in the Houston Chronicle on the used book market. According to the Book Industry Study Group, sales of used books topped $2.2 billion in 2004, an 11% increase over the previous year. This is a controversial area for both authors and publishers. For publishers, who live and die by backlist sales and reprints, this isn't good, and the bad news for authors (including moi) is that when a used book is sold, the authors receives no royalties on that purchase. I'm also a consumer of used books as well. I've always been able to read more than I could afford, and a used book store provided an outlet for more economical purchases. As I became more saavy about the royalty situation, I started switching to only buying out of print books used, and mostly for research. I still like shopping online and finding what I want. It doesn't have the same tactile thrill as browsing Barnes and Noble, and picking up the book, perusing the back cover copy, flipping pages, the smell of dead trees happily filling my nostrils, but I think there is a market for used books, and I think that market will continue to grow. However, speaking from my own buying habits, I only buy books used that I wouldn't have bought new, so the publishers aren't losing a sale from this purchase. It's a sale they never would have had. Question for everyone:
Do you buy books online
If there was a new book out on the shelves that you wanted, would you opt to buy it used instead? If so, is cost the primary factor?

7 Comments:

Blogger crissachappell said...

Sometimes I discover authors when I buy used books.

5:13 PM  
Blogger RedWritingHood said...

I used to buy used books all the time. Then I got to know some authors who explained the whole royalty situation, detailing how one book's sales can effect the next book's advance. Now I buy everything new if I can. It's a struggle because I'm not well off by any means, but one day when my fiction book is on the stands I would hope someone treats my book the same way.

10:32 PM  
Blogger Darla said...

I stick to new for books I really want, but I do buy used books--fewer now that I don't have a flea market nearby with paperbacks priced at 3/$1. A deal like that is awfully hard to pass up for somebody who reads as much as I do--but then, the books were mostly old and out of print anyway.

I obviously buy used if a book is out of print and that's the only way I can get it. And I buy used--once or twice--to try out a new-to-me author.

But for a book I know I want, it's gotta be new.

7:16 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Chrissa (am I using the right name?), do you discover authors by browsing at the used bookstore, or do you "test" an author by buying a book that you want used? Just wanted to clarify, and please no one think that I'm out here pointing the finger of condemnation at anyone. I think everyone has the right to spend money and shop where they choose. I'm just curious about what's motivating buying decisions.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Oh, goodapple, you are a goodapple :), and it's very thoughtful of you to buy new only. You do get a different mindset when you're receiving royalty statements with actual numbers on them. However, IMHO, if you can't afford, new, there's nothing inherently sinful about buying used. A reader is a reader is a reader, and there are other things that readers can do to support authors instead of the obvious monetary ones. Talk a book up to your friends. Pass a book around. Word of mouth is the way that most books are sold, new or used, and sometimes that is worth much more than a royalty. So if you can't contribute to the royalty pool, you can do other things to support the authors.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Darla, I love those kind of mass book tables like you see at garage sales. It's like manna from heaven for somebody who's a voracious reader. Thanks for the feedback on your buying habits. It's just my own informal little poll.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Sindell, thanks for the input and your awareness of the royalty sitch. However, I don't think the used market is going away ever, so I think authors and publishers just need to find a way to make it their friend. :)

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home