Wednesday, April 13, 2005

On Bullshit

The five people you meet in the unemployment line. Most of you know Mitch Albom as the author of the Five People You Meet in Heaven and Tuesdays with Morrie, however, before he hit the lists, he was (and still is, uh, was) a sports reporter for the Detroit Free Press. Apparently, Mr. Albom got SO carried away with writing fiction… well, you can guess the rest, it seems he wrote a few things that just aren't quite, absolutely positively true. We all are watching voyeuristically as the paper spanks him. Which brings us to our next topic on journalistic ethics and honesty….

Sy, Sy, Sy . First of all, I love Seymour M. Hersh. He's a great speaker, an inspired investigative journalist, and sometimes…too smart for his own good. This New York magazine profile on him talks about his tendency to overexaggerate when either a) speaking in public or b) trying to get confirmation from a source. Very clever tactics, I must say, but when you um, "lie" it will come back to bite you in the butt.

And lastly, I'm a writer for Romancing the Blog, (as I'm sure many of you know) and have found out that Alison Kent has been romancing the blog incognito, sharing an alter ego with the founder of the blog, "Kate." She outted herself; I'm not so crass. Apparently, this was because of some to-do that completely passed me by (God, MUST IT ALWAYS BE A CRISIS? You'd think we were a group of women or something…) People have been calling, reporters phoning in (don't need any corrections here, I'm pulling an Albom/Hersh/Kent), asking what I'm going to do.

I will do what I always do. I will ponder. In the immortal words of Winnie The Pooh, "think, think, think."

Quote of the day:
"You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a smile and a gun." -- Al Capone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home