Sunday, April 03, 2005

The Death of a Hero

All this weekend I've watched the coverage of the Pope's passing and felt both a sense of loss and a sense of relief. This was a man who suffered greatly and I knew his death would give him a respite from the heavy burden of his illness, and yet, I also mourned for our loss. The number of truly great people who are defined only by their goodness in this world is infinitesimal. And Saturday they lost one of their number.

I don't agree with all the teachings of the church, I don't even agree with all the precepts of the Pope, but I had a great admiration for a man who was willing to stand up for his beliefs, for what he believed was right, without judging others. Somehow he was able to embrace everyone with his warmth and his caring. That quality is so rare. We are casting judgments right and left, running down others, not really meaning to, but placing such importance on our own opinions, that everyone else is relegated to second place. In society's quest for the domination of the individual, we have lost sight of everyone else. It was a sad day yesterday. The Pope will be missed.

And in the continuing saga of Charles and Camilla, you just have to worry about the future of this marriage. Their nuptials are set for Friday, which could be the same day as the Pope's funeral. The Royal Family has said that they will not change the date, even if that happens to be the day of the pontiff's funeral. You wonder just how many more obstacles can be thrown between them. It makes Romeo and Juliet look like a walk in the park. We'll seeā€¦.

And lastly, I found a copy of my book in Barnes & Noble on Friday. It was momentous occasion, as I was on the New Fiction table, and I've never had table-space before! I'd appreciate it if anyone with Diva sightings could report back in.

So, questions for the day:

1. Do you think Charles and Camilla should change the date?
2. What's the weather like where you are (it's raining here)?
3. Who's your real-life hero?

2 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth Kerri Mahon said...

Kathleen,

I saw your book last Thursday at the Borders in the AOL Time Warner Center. I'm working on the Waldenbooks thing, and also a bookstore in Riverdale, but I can email you the information about the bookstores in Port Authority that Michelle Cunnah had great success with.

Cathy Greenfeder is also working on some bookstores in NJ.

3:30 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

Hi, Kathleen - Seems like the wedding has been moved. The course of love never did run smoothly for those two!

5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home