Thursday, April 28, 2005

What's better with chick-lit than a glass of merlot?

There's an article in the New York Times about how Beringer Blass Wine Estates launchd a new promotion using Jennifer Weiner, author of "God in Bed," (uh, sorry, typo, my keys are sticking), that's "Good in Bed." Anywho, the corks have "white lie" messages on them, "I'll be home by 7," and "It's my natural color."

The wine is a new low-alcohol, low-calorie chardonnay called White Lie Early Season. Now, this is all fascinating to me -- the "idea of books" can sell product. I'm not sure books or authors (excepting possibly JK Rowling hawking a breakfast cereal) have enough cachet, no disrespect to Ms. Weiner.

I myself can see a whole line of products being marketed. For instance:

Jane Austen-- It is a truth universally acknowledged that a woman in possession of her period, must be in want of a Playtex Tampon.
Charles Dickens-- It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, but I always had the right time with my Swatch Farfallino Giallo watch.
Herman Melville -- Call me Ishmael with new Verizon's Go-Anywhere Talk Plan.

Brilliant.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kat said...

*LOL* Please tell me you were never a copywriter... :-D

5:24 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Never :)

7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home