Thursday, March 03, 2005

The Need For Speed

Apologizing for the no-post Wednesday, but I got knocked in the head with a cold-thing, and I spent yesterday evening under heavy medication. Currently I'm a little drugged; unfortunately, my deadlines do not care.

I'm supposed to get a new computer today, WAY faster than my current one, which is a mere 400 mhz. AND, and, and, and, the cool thing is the display will support 1280x1024 (I use laptops, not desktops, and I'm currently running 1024x768). Can you tell I'm a computer slut????

Yesterday I went into the bookstore and was perusing (and working, too), when I spied with my own little eyes, a book on the shelves by romantic suspense author extraordinaire, Dee Davis, and it's called, Endgame. It's great!! If you like romantic suspense, you should check this one out. The heroine is a profiler out to track down an assassin, but things aren't always like they appear... hehehehe....

And, there's another book that caught my eye called "Zounds! A Browser's Dictionary of Interjections." I always have trouble coming up with expressions for my characters that are unique and appropriate. My favorite was Smeg, which I used for my geek-heroine in It Should Happen to You. It's from the BBC science-fiction spoof, Red Dwarf. Anyway, just thought I'd mention it....

In today's news briefs, the pope is "progressively improving", Maureen Dowd is ripping up on Botox in Hollywood. You go, girl, and I expect to see lines on your suspiciously unlined forehead tomorrow.

The Observer has done a little spoofing on Jonathan Safran Foer, whose new book is coming out next month. Sometimes reading makes my head hurt. Yesterday was Dr. Seuss's birthday. If I was feeling better, I'd write a poem. Sorry, you're getting short-changed today. Maybe tomorrow, I'll find a way. Maybe, maybe, maybe I say. And maybe not, because what's a day? (insert bow here)

I added in Google ads, and right now they're marriage oriented because Google uses content to determine what to put up there, not keywords. So, I'm wondering if I insert a lot of book, book, book, book, agent, literary publishing, romance, book, book, writing, fiction, creative craft, maybe they'll change.... Apologize for that moment of key-word fluff.


Tomorrow I'll be visiting with Johanna Edwards, author of The Next Big Thing.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kat said...

About the word smeg. I knew a guy at uni who used this word as a short version of another word with a particularly grotty meaning. It threw me a little when I read it in a romance novel. Then again, interjections do tend to have dubious 'real' definitions.

8:02 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Grotty? I'm assuming that's Australian... :) I think it does have the 'grotty' meaning, but it's also used in the geekier circles....

8:51 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

I didn't realise "grotty" is a Britishism but apparently, it is. I'm ashamed to say I've only ever seen one Red Dwarf episode (thanks to my year 11 Maths teacher). I hope this doesn't affect my geek cred...

7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home