Thursday, February 24, 2005

The Gates Revisited, or, actually just visited.

On Tuesday, I took my kids into the city and we saw the Gates. According to the Manhattan powers that be, the 23 miles of orange saffron and vinyl poles are "art." In order to get my kids to participate in this exhibition, I told them they were racing gates designed for them to run through. THAT got them excited. So, we went in and I have to admit, it was an intimidating site, all that orange blowing in the breeze. I haven't seen that much orange since living in Austin, and watching the Longhorns, clad in that tacky, tacky orange, beat the ever livin' daylights out of A&M, clad in the much more refined color of maroon. So, I come to the color orange with bias (although we're big fans of Home Depot).

The park was packed with people walking through (under?) the gates, and my kids weren't able to run as much as, umm, I might have promised them, however, they did enjoy it. And I enjoyed it. It's not the Mona Lisa, but I can see how it might constitute art, after all. It's certainly a big and spacious exhibit. And very orange.

At the Southwest entrance there's a hot dog vendor who served us dogs and water, and offered a unique viewpoint of the exhibition. A crew of six hundred workers was required to put up the gates. Working for two weeks, straight, and according to this vendor: "They were served hot lunches every day. You know how much that cost? Millions. And the radios. Everyone had one of those fancy radios. Is this worth millions? Whose to say."

One of the things that I've learned since moving up here is that everyone thinks New Yorkers are very close-mouthed, reticent people. Nah. Trust me, these people teach Texans a thing or two about talking. They'll tell you all sorts of great stuff, all you have to do is ask a question and then listen.

All in all, it was a highly successful trip, although the kids had more fun throwing snowballs from the playground in the park, than actually absorbing the aesthetic value of the rarified exhibit. However, I was more impressed than I thought it would be. When we left, I polled the kids: My daughter gave it a "eh." My next-door-neighbor's kid gave it a "eh" and my son gave it thumbs up. My vote? Thumbs up. Not way, way up. But up. Definitely.

The Pope is back in the hospital, although devious minds have indicated that the timing is just a little "too coincidental" since his new book is hitting the shelves this week. The Queen is passing on the Charles/Camilla wedding, although she's said that she will attend the reception. Royal snub or just being Queeny? We'll wait to see who foots the bill for the honeymoon before we make up our mind.

Trendwatch: psychics are hot. Jennifer Love Hewitt is getting a pilot for a psychic drama on CBS entitled "Ghost Whisperer". Anybody think this one is going to get more than four episodes? Five? Come'on. Somebody give me six. Six, six, six? Sold to the dead man in the backā€¦.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home