Friday, February 25, 2005

Books To Go

There's a story in the independent about books for download, sorta like e-books, but these are audio books in MP3 format. I've never been a huge fan of ebooks because I spend all day staring at a screen and I just like the booky feel of a book.

However, I've started doing some books on CD, mainly because our library has them, I can take them to the gym and listen while I workout, and it gives me a chance to get in some quality reading time while multi-tasking. Sad that my reading time has diminished to the point where I feel guilty unless I'm doing something else, but there you have it. Anyway, Ive become a fan of the audio book for exactly the aforementioned reason. Reading without guilt.

There are conflicting studies and opinions on whether Gen-Xers are reading as much as earlier generations (I say they don't, but I'm willing to be swayed ) and an audio book, available for the iPod might be just the thing to open up some eyes (and ears) to the experience of story.

In recent news, Bush tells the world that Iran is not Iraq. Yeah, one ends with a 'q'. The Pope is able to breathe, but not to speak. Palestine finally has a new cabinet, a white-washed finish with adjustable shelves. And if you happen to see a Klingon on the streets of LA, it's one of four planned rallies to protest the cancellation of Star Trek: Enterprise.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kat said...

Hi, Kathleen, I also love the booky feel of a book. I reckon home printer manufacturers should come up with a setting that allows people to print pages, book style. Binding would be a bonus, even if it's just spiral binding.

An iPod equivalent for books would also be handy. PDAs just aren't large enough. A pocketbook-sized tablet would be awesome.

I'm not a big fan of e-books either, but they do give readers a chance to read out of print novels (especially paperpack romances!).

As an aside...I finally found a copy of Touched by Fire at a secondhand bookstore while I was holidaying interstate! I'm so pleased because otherwise I may have had to get it in e-book format after all.

Hmmm...do authors get paid royalties on secondhand sales? I do hope so...

2:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home