Saturday, February 26, 2005

Tragedies and Causes

Taking my tongue out of my cheek for a moment, there was a very heart-breaking piece in the NY Times on the genocide in Darfur. There are so many tragedies that vie for our attention that it's hard not to become immune to a tragedy-of-the-moment mentality. This year it seems like there has been so many that suffer, yet it's no different from any other year in terms of death or sickness or killing.

I'm not tied to any one cause, although I know many people who are. A friend of mine crusades for MS, my mother works tirelessly for nursing home reform. Year after year they stay focused on their cause and work through it, making a difference. That's their goal, and they want it passionately. When I meet people who are so dedicated to one thing, I automatically admire them more than someone like me, who gets tossed from one cause to another.

So what does this have to do with writing? Well, I'm working on character goals this week, defining what my heroine wants in terms of her life. I know her internal goals, but I need that external something. Some characters are strongly focused and don't need one good, solid external goal that carries throughout the story, but sometimes, especially if the character isn't so single-minded, they need an overwhelming goal. Something to keep the story moving. I'm still thinking on this one; I think I'll pick something this weekend, but it's much easier to respect a person who cares passionately about something –anything – than one who's a willow in the wind.

In the stories you've read recently, what's moved you in terms of goals?

1 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

I'm having a talking with myself moment, but we were watching The Princess Bride last night, and I was doing the whole "analyze this" thing and I realized that Inigo was the most fascinating character in the movie. Why? Because he had the strongest goal in the story and because in case you forgot, he keep repeating it over and over again. "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." Revenge is his goal. Killing. But it touches your heart because a) he still shows his little kid vulnerability and b) he wants it SO badly. He spends his entire life chasing revenge and you can't help but want him to succeed.

so, that's my contribution to the discussion.

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home