Tuesday, September 07, 2004

The Freedom Edition

Done, done, done, done, done…. The revisions have landed. And I'm FREEEEEEE…. (well, actually have tons of things to catch-up on, but that's for another day!)…

Here's my bit of writerly advice for the day:

Writing 101: Never Write About Baseball

Well, you would think the New York Yankees, the baseball dynasty, the hittingiest group of men ever assembled would be doing well since they're atop the division and October's nearly here. After leading the division race by some god-awful number (18?) the lead is now down to 2 ½. Do you know what is responsible for this deep slide? Moi. Yes, moi. I wrote about their winning ways in my book to be published in April 2005. I went on and on and on and on about their successes and yes, now, they're going to prove me wrong. You would think I would learn. Last year, when I was writing Pillow Talk (written in spring of 2003), I made a big deal about the Cubbies losing ways…. Do you KNOW what the Cubbies did last year? I barely escaped that one. And now, I'm sweating again. Moral of the story: you want to fix a baseball game? Let me know. I'll put the team in my next book. Results are 100% guaranteed.


There's an
article about controversial books and their covers
that I thought was interesting, especially since we have two of them (Mein Kampf and Marquis de Sade's Justine). Recently ALA released their list of banned books and many were classics, but something like Mein Kampf reminds you of the true power of books. Please note that I don't believe in censorship in any form(slippery slope, blah, blah, blah), but there are some books that are truly dangerous in the wrong hands.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home