Sunday, September 05, 2004

In Defense of Category Romance (and other fun stuff).

A day off – finished the book, sorta. Still have the read-through to go, but it's nearly there. And enough of that book which shall remain nameless (I'm getting tired and ready to bounce off into new things).

I'm still following the links on All About Romance about series romance and I get so mad when people lump all series romance into secret babies and cowboys. I want to jump up and down and say, "NO, NO, NO!" There are LOTS of Harlequin and Silhouette romances out there and to lump all series is no better than saying all romance readers are bored housewives eating bon-bons. It's just not true. I have written about an astrophysicist heroine, a reporter hero (okay, the journalistic hero is not a stretch), a Starbucks barista heroine, an airplane mechanic hero, a personal injury lawyer heroine, and that only covers three books. One of my personal issues with the romance industry is that I read romances for 30 years (and I'm only 41, you do the math), and I've seen it all. I've cruised through the streets of London in a mini, I've been a nurse in the Australian outback, I've been a virginal governess who is overwhelmed by the handsome Duke, but I want to write about stuff that's different and interesting to me. And I do. Thank God I have two editors that actually encourage my radicalness. I told my editor at National that I didn't think I would ever win contests because my books are too far off the beaten track, and you know what? I came home to two contest wins. A wonderful way to make me eat my own words. So all those critics of Harlequin and Silhouette should start browsing the shelves at Waldens because there's lots of different stuff that's out there and available. Please don't think I'm saying that Harlequin is doing everything right. I sent in my suggestions to the company (the covers!!!), but the point is that Harlequin is working to find the right solution.

Okay, off the soapbox. I'm sorry. I was looking to find a hunky picture and I realized that the new FDNY 2005 calendar was out. I love watching Rescue Me, and the current calendar storyline is hysterical. What I like about the show is the authentically male dialog. So here's today's picture:



And some fun book links:

I thought this was one was hysterical. The literary book reviewers are often a subject of sniggering punnery. Musings on literary book reviewers and the language they speak

And people had problems with Carolyn Keene … When your pen name is forced upon you – Anonymous


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home