Monday, September 13, 2004

Book stuff

Gross news of the day: It's a good thing Anita Blake lives in St. Louis.

Writing quote of the day:

Stick to Zen. F*&k the work.
-- Henry Miller in a letter to Lawrence Durrell (another writer).
This one just cracked me up.

The New York Post has a very interesting article on Jenna Jameson's book and I'm wondering if I'm going to have to eat my words…Anyone here read said book and would like to comment?

Feeling a need for a little literary condemnation and a good verbal spanking? Check out The Fiction Bitch. Because sometimes the truth is hardest of all.

And if you'd made it through the Fiction Bitch, perhaps self-publishing is the route to go. Now, I'll caveat this with the fact that every traditionally published print author is going to go, "Ewww…," but the truth is that I have two friends who have started out this route and then sold to New York in later deals. So, make of it what you may.


A Guardian article on the bestseller process.
Articles like this just make me sigh…

A lot of chick-lit has been making it into options and movies, but then there's something like this: Miramax maxed out on chick lit. Does this mean the Hollywood love affair with chick-lit is over? I have a friend who works in the movie industry and we were talking a few years back, and this really stuck in my head. She talked about how a lot of Hollywood actresses were anxious to find vehicles for them (KO comment: because of the way Hollywood treats aging actresses, hmmm?) and there is a tremendous demand for female-oriented scripts that are well-done with strong female leads. I think that's here to stay. Just as technology, finance, and politics have opened up in a big way to females, I think Hollywood has to as well.

I started working on a proposal for Blaze, and had to scrap what I had. I keep telling myself it's because my standards are higher. Don't know. I had four Temptations contracted, but I had to rethink them for Blaze, and now I'm rethinking my rethink because this one turned into a blind book (i.e. writer has no clue about what they're going to write).



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home