Friday, August 05, 2005

From Candice Proctor

Candice Proctor has an interesting take on why romance doesn't get any respect. I think most of her points are spot-on, but I don't think there's much the industry can do. Every week you can find an article about the different aspects of entertainment and how they are struggling to survive in a market that's declining (except for video games, which is huge, but I think they're a new market and will hit a plateau in the next ten years). In a perfect economic model, the number of books, movies, music, etc would shrink and the choices remaining would be of higher quality. I don't think that's true anymore, though, because the cost to entry are so small. Heck, Xerox has a commercial about "how anyone can be published."

As the saying goes, "quality will out," but so will good marketing. So how knows what we're going to end up with. I think I need another cup of coffee. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home